Skin, Skin Types and Contra-Indications - Makeup Fundamentals
SKIN, SKIN TYPES AND CONTRA-INDICATIONS
Skin can be classified as one of the following 4 types:
- Normal Skin: Soft, supple, firm and smooth. Neither greasy nor dry in appearance.
- Dry Skin: Rough, scaly flakes, hard and papery to touch.
- Oily Skin: Shiny, greasy, open pored surface.
- Combination Skin: Combination of two or more skin types. E.g. the T-zone is oily when the sides of the face are dry.
SELECTING A FOUNDATION
Once you have identified your skin type, you then choose the foundation suitable for it.
- Liquid: Gives a natural coverage and best would be to apply on clear, normal skin. It also suits people who don’t like the feeling of makeup on their skin.
- Cream: This is a heavier foundation, which gives good coverage. It can be used on any skin type. Some cream foundations are oily and will suit dry skin, others are dry and will suit oily skin.
- Cream Powder: A two-in-one product. It has the coverage of a cream and the finish of a powder. Ideal for people who don’t like spending time doing their makeup.
- Tinted Moisturiser: Ideal for clients who want a very light coverage. The cream will usually have a range of products for different skin types. E.g. anti-ageing, anti-blemish, moisturizing etc.
- Loose Powder: It is used to set any cream or liquid product. It can be applied to the whole face, including lips. Translucent powder is recommended to avoid adding any colour to the makeup.
- Compact Powder: Will give a matte finish to the makeup. Recommended to use on oily skins and for touch-ups.
A contra-indication is a condition or factor that may prevent you from performing a makeup application, as it may cause harm. This is important as when applying makeup in a non-suitable area you can increase the risk of infection, or spread it. You may find that the skin looks irritated or has a rash.
Conjunctivitis, eczema, warts, styes, deep sunburn, open wounds, cuts, cold sores.
If you present a contra-indication, do not apply makeup, and seek medical advice.