Dermaplaning - a fad or here to stay?
One of the trendiest hair-removal options today is dermaplaning. This simple beauty ritual has stood the test of time and dates back to 1950's Hollywood glamour and no doubt has made a huge come back with the latest selfcare at-home trend that we all love.
WHAT IS DERMAPLANING?
Dermaplaning is a skin treatment that uses a fine blade to remove dead skin and fine facial hairs to achieve a polished complexion. All it takes is to run the blade over the targeted area, in gradual downward motion following the same direction as the hair growth on clean dry skin.
Peach fuzz - or vellus hair - is a translucent, soft hair that appears during childhood. While its purpose is to thermally protect the body by insulation and cooling through perspiration, it is okay to remove facial vellus hair.
The dermaplane procedure aims to give facial skin a smooth, youthful, and radiant appearance. It smooths skin by removing dead skin cells and "peach fuzz", making a clean canvas for any skincare treatment or makeup application.
THE SCIENCE OF DERMAPLANING
Dermaplaning aims to make your skin's surface smooth, youthful and radiant
- Painlessly exfoliates the outer layer of the skin, also referred to as the Epidermis, to stimulate cellular turnover with little to no downtime.
- A great option for those with sensitive skin and pregnant women who are looking for a deep exfoliation.
- It can be performed prior to treatments like facials, laser, chemical peels and microdermabrasion, for better product penetration.
- It can be performed frequently.
- It helps makeup go on smoother and more evenly.
MANICARE® DERMASMOOTH FUZZ REMOVER - THE PERFECT DERMAPLANE TOOL
Manicare has released the Manicare® DermaSmooth Fuzz Remover, for everyday silky smooth radiant skin. This multi-purpose facial razor offers quick, easy & pain free removal of fine facial hair and dermaplaning. The dual ended blade razor makes it easy to manoeuvre around the cheeks while allowing precision on intricate brow & lip areas. Each razor blade is crafted with microMESH blade technology featuring the finest quality Korean steel to help create smooth, radiant skin instantly. Assisting skin to improve skincare absorption and provide the perfect canvas for flawless make-up application.
The Manicare® DermaSmooth Fuzz Remover is safe for virtually everyone, whether you need to remove facial hair, create a clean canvas for skin care treatments or ace your base for a make-up application, this is your go-to beauty tool!
HOW TO DERMAPLANE:
Prepare:For best results, use on clean and dry skin.
Smooth:1. Carefully run the blade over the targeted area in a gradual downward motion following the same direction as the hair growth.
2. Keep the blade relatively parallel to the skin whilst keeping the skin taught.
3. The small blade is to be used for precise removal of fine brow and lip hair, whilst the large razor is to be used for facial hair around the jawline and outer cheek area.
Hydrate:Follow with your favourite serum or moisturiser to calm and soothe the skin.
- If preparing for an event, best to dermaplane the night before to allow your face to calm down.
- Focus on areas where peach fuzz is generally thickest around the jaw, neck, and upper lip.
- Don't dermaplane over acne breakouts or other inflamed skin.
- Use a magnified mirror in natural light to check for areas that may have been missed. Go over any parts of your cheeks, chin, upper lip or neck that are still fuzzy.
- Follow up with a rich moisturiser. One with hyaluronic acid is especially good for water retention, helping your skin look bright and plump.
- After use, rinse under warm water and allow to dry.
- Steralise with Manicare® Brush Cleaner & Tool Sanitiser.
- Store blades in the protective cover provided.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Dermaplaning vs. Waxing - which one is better?
Dermaplaning is a quick and fast way of removing facial hair and there is no pain involved. However, the results might not be as long-lasting as waxing, as the hair is not removed from the root. Results will differ depending on the individual's hair-growth cycle. It will take about a week for the hair to grow back, at which time you can dermaplane again.
Will Peach Fuzz grow back thicker and darker?
When shaving or using a blade to remove hair, it is removed from the surface of the skin - meaning the hair only looks thicker as the end of the hair is blunt. It is not actually thicker. When you remove hair from the root, it grows back tapered, making it look thinner - however they are all the same hairs. Vellus hair will grow back over time, but the texture or colour of the hair will not change.
What to do after Dermaplaning?
Can Dermaplaning cause breakout?
Break out may occur after dermaplaning due to mild exfoliation which may cause any impurities to surface.
Can you wear makeup after Dermaplaning?
Yes, you can wear makeup right away!
How often should you Dermaplane at home?
You may consider adding it to your routine once a week as the hair grows back.